Chocolate Fudge Cake Doughnuts
Hands-on time:0 mins. to 30 mins. Baking time:15 mins. to 15 mins.
Total time:45 mins. to 60 mins. Yield:8 doughnuts
- 1/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 1/2 cups + 6 Tbsps King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cups + 2 Tbsps light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 large eggs
- 1/4 + 1/8 cup milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons vinegar, white or cider
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) melted butter
- 4 oz cream cheese, low fat (softened at room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp hot water or milk
- 1/2-3/4 cup powdered sugar (depending on how thick or thin you want)
- few drops of red food color, if you are going for colored pink icing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the doughnut pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and vinegar. Milk might a curdle a little and that’s ok.
- Add the wet ingredients along with the melted butter to the dry ingredients, stirring to blend; there’s no need to beat the batter, just make sure everything is well-combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, filling them between 3/4 and full.
- Bake the doughnuts for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven, and after 30 seconds or so, loosen their edges, turn the pan upside down over a rack, and gently let the doughnuts fall onto the rack.
- Let them cool.