Dark Chocolate Cake Donuts + Blood Orange Glaze
makes 12 donuts
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbs butter. Melted
Blood Orange Glaze
- 2 Tbs Butter, Melted
- 2 Tbs corn syrup
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup blood orange juice
- 2 Tbs heavy Cream
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl combine all of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, add the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Beat them together and add them to the dry ingredients.
- Add the melted butter to the batter and mix until a batter has formed.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into the donut pan and bake at 325 for 10 minutes.
- Turn the donuts out onto a cooling rack and let the donuts cool.
- While the donuts are baking, make the glaze by whisking everything together.
- When the donuts have cooled, dip them into the glaze. (I triple dunked them!)
- Eat immediately or let them rest while the blood orange glaze sets up.
These dark chocolate donuts are finished with a gorgeous blood orange glaze that takes advantage of the beautiful citrus fruit that is in season right now. These little gems are what inspired this whole Breakfast idea and most of the colors.