Spaghetti And Cheese Nests
- 10 ounces dry Whole Wheat Spaghetti (or gluten-
- -free option)
- 1/2 cup grated regular or low fat Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup fat free or low fat Cottage Cheese
- Olive Oil
- pinch Garlic Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- shaved Parmesan for garnish
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8-12 servings
“These spaghetti nests get a bit crispy on top & warm & creamy in the centers after they are baked. You can also add chunks of chicken breast & small bits of diced steamed broccoli to make a more complete meal. Perhaps you use larger ramekins for baking if you want to go a bit bigger in portion size.”
- Pre heat oven to 425 F with the rack in the center of the oven. Cook pasta according to directions, reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. Be sure not to break spaghetti while cooking so you can twirl it into nests. Combine cottage cheese and cheddar cheese in a bowl. Toss cooked pasta with a splash of olive oil, all spices and seasonings. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid if you need to. Mix with cheese mixture. Reserve a bit of cheese to top each nest.
- Twirl spaghetti with a fork and add to muffin pan, create nest shapes. Top each nest with a bit of the cottage cheese mixture. Bake for about 10 minutes. The tops of your nests will be lightly browned and a bit crispy. Let cool for a few minutes. Gently loosen spaghetti nests from muffin pans with a spatula and serve. Top with parmesan & dried basil or parsley if desired.
- You can try different spices in your spaghetti nests: chili powder, cayenne, thyme, saffron, nutmeg, cumin, etc…would all be fun & unique flavor twists.
- You can play around linguine, angel hair and other pasta shapes.
- Try flavored pasta: Spinach, cabernet, etc.
- Go gluten free: You can use your favorite rice pasta or gluten free product in this recipe too.
- Stay on the Meatless Monday kick & up the protein with chunks of tofu or top with an egg.
- More protein non-veg style? Go with some cubed cooked chicken breast. Toss it in before baking.